|Ohio Trumpet Workshop artists/clinicians John Schlabach and Susan Rider
|2005 Ohio Trumpet Workshop participants
The seventh annual Ohio Trumpet Workshop was held on the campus of Ohio University in Athens, Ohio last June. The week-long workshop attracted 23 high school participants from Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Kentucky. The director of the workshop is John Schlabach, Professor of Trumpet at Ohio University. The 2005 co-clinician was Susan Rider, a member of the United States Marine Band. Participants attended a recital presented by the clinicians as well as warm-up and master class sessions, small group applied lessons, listening sessions, career and college seminars, and other related activities. The workshop’s goal is to give students the means to sustain musical growth well beyond their week on campus.
This workshop began as the Murray State Trumpet Workshop, originating in 1991 at Murray State University in Kentucky. The workshop ran there each summer through 1998, and then continued in its same format in 1999 as the Ohio Trumpet Workshop after Schlabach changed teaching positions from Murray State to Ohio University. The 2005 workshop marked the 15th consecutive year for this unique opportunity for young trumpet players. Following is the list of the workshop co-clinicians (with their current positions) since 1991:
- 1991 – Peter Bond, third Trumpet, New York Metropolitan Opera Orchestra
- 1992 – Peter Bond
- 1993 – Matthew Lee, trumpet professor, DePaul University and member of Chicago Brass Quintet and Millar Brass
- 1994 – John Rommel, trumpet professor, Indiana University
- 1995 – Peter Bond
- 1996 – Alan Siebert, trumpet professor, University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
- 1997 – Allen Vizzutti, international performing artist and Michael Dorau, freelance trumpeter in the Milwaukee and Chicago areas.
- 1998 – Vincent DiMartino, international performing artist and trumpet professor, Centre College
- 1999 – John Rommel
- 2000 – Cathy Leach, trumpet professor, University of Tennessee
- 2001 – James Thompson, trumpet professor, Eastman School of Music
- 2002 – Michael Tunnell, trumpet professor, University of Louisville
- 2003 – Langston Fitzgerald III, trumpet professor, Pennsylvania State University
- 2004 – Peter Bond
- 2005 – Susan Rider, United States Marine Band
For details about the 2006 workshop please contact John Schlabach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School of Music, Ohio University