KSU Brass Ensemble: please click photo for
On April 13, 2003 The Kansas State University
Brass Ensemble, directed by Gary Mortenson, performed a full
recital at St. Fidelis Church in Victoria, Kansas. Upon completion
in 1911, this historic structure was the largest church west of
the Mississippi river. William Jennings Bryan, famous orator and
politician, visited the church early in the twentieth century and
in a speech declared it "The Cathedral of the Plains."
This name has been associated with the church ever since that day.
The ensemble performed arrangements and transcriptions of music
by Gabrieli, Byrd, Handel, Mozart, and Beethoven, and contemporary
works by Knox, McIntyre, Gustafson, and Dodsworth. All seven trumpeters
in the ensemble belong to the KSU chapter of the International Trumpet
Guild. Over the last decade the ensemble has performed and premiered
significant works at the New York Brass Conference, International
Brassfest, Kansas Music Educators Conference, and at basilicas,
cathedrals, and universities in Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana,
Ohio, and New York.
Music at KSU